Today, hubby took over and cooked a no chicken vegetarian (we made it vegan) pot pie. The recipe came from genius kitchen.
- 1⁄2teaspoon ground thyme
- 1cup potato, diced
- 1⁄2cup chopped onion
- 1cup celery, diced
- 1cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄3cup melted margarine or 1⁄3 cupbutter
- 1⁄2cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2cups onion broth
- 1 1⁄2cups half-and-half
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2teaspoon pepper
- 2cups chopped vegetarian chicken strips or 2 cups firm tofu, cut in tiny cubes
- 2pie crusts (either store bought or your own recipe)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Saute onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in butter for 10 minutes.
- Add flour to sauteed mixture, stirring well Cook one minute stirring constantly.
- Combine broth and half and half.
- Gradually stir into vegetable mixture.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in salt and pepper and tyme; add tofu and stir well.
- Pour into shallow 2 quart casserole dish and top with pie shells.
- Cut slits to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and cooked through.
He added broccoli, mushrooms and cilantro, replaced the onion broth with vegetable broth and the half and half with almond milk (to make it vegan) but forgot to add carrots. We are trying to stay away from soy so tofu didn’t make it into our veggie pot pie. It didn’t matter. It was tasty..we probably should have let it sit a while longer before cutting into it but the flavor was all there. Definitely would try again!