This week, especially after a couple of days of snow, I decided to make a soup as part of our dinner tonight. Hubby found this recipe from choosingchia.com:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 cups carrots
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 liter vegetable broth
- pinch of cayenne
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a pan with parchment paper.
- Chop your sweet potatoes and carrots into medium sized cubes and place spread out of your pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until tender.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot on medium heat. Chop your onion and garlic and and add to the pot, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes. Add grated ginger, sweet potato, carrots and a pinch of cayenne and stir together.
- Next add your vegetable broth and bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender (or use a hand blender) and blend soup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
It turned out to be amazing. Because of the onions and garlic clove, I barely had to salt and pepper to taste. I also did not have veggie broth so I mixed water with Goya salad and vegetable seasoning and added that to the onions, garlic, ginger and cayenne. I also used 1 tablespoon of ginger instead of 2–it’s all we had left. Hubby told me we already had everything we needed to make this soup so the improvisation was clearly not planned. But that’s ok. Sometimes, that’s how it is and it did not disappoint.
Already excited for next Monday!