Today, I decided to try vegan tuna. I saw a few videos online that made my mouth water and last week, I tried a version at Whole Foods that convinced me it was time to try it at home. A few of the recipes I saw included some kind of vegan mayonnaise which I like but I wanted to challenge myself to make the “mayo.”
The recipe I found was on www.brandnewvegan.com. I know hubby and I eat too much oil and this recipe was oil-free which made it an easy yes. As I was mashing the chickpeas with the potato smasher and fork, I loved watching the transformation of the consistency into something that definitely reminded me of tuna. After I blended the cashew mixture, it really was a smooth, creamy dressing! I was probably a little too excited. It was definitely a recipe I would try again and I am looking forward to trying more recipes from this site.
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup water
- 15ox can low sodium garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 2 tbls dill pickle relish
- 3 tbls lemon juice
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbls yellow mustard
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Add the cashews and water to your blender to let them soak
- Mash garbanzo beans in a large bowl using a potato masher, or fork
- Add diced veggies and stir
- All the remaining liquid ingredients to the blender with the cashews and water and pulse until smooth.
- Stir dressing into ‘tuna’ .